Tips For Remodeling Your Kitchen
In the world of major remodels the kitchen is one of the most popular especially in modern times. However, kitchen remodels are one of the more costly pursuits a homeowner can choose when deciding on a remodeling project. For example some current estimates put a 300 square foot renovation costing over $60,000 dollars.
A good way to take on such a large investment is to either take out a loan or pursue the remodel in stages. Of course, performing a remodel in stages requires a lot of planning especially if you are living in the home or using the kitchen at the time of the remodel. Use the following strategy when working on your kitchen remodel.
- Analyze and prioritize the steps in your remodel – the good news, you do not have to change everything little thing to achieve results. Obviously if there is a feature you don’t like you should focus on that one or built your remodel around replacing that particular feature. You may also be able to keep an older feature to save money, cabinets and countertops can be refinished with a variety of products today.
- Consider doing the remodel yourself – doing the remodel by yourself can be a good way to save money if you are fairly handy. A word to the wise however, if you are uncomfortable with any aspect of the remodel you should seek the advice of a contractor. Don’t underestimate your ability to learn though. Things like laying tile, framing walls or hanging drywall are all skills that you can learn on your own.
- Compare prices and research – shop around and explore your options, you may think you’ve found the perfect item but sometimes a sale will yield a higher quality material for less money. You can take your research online as well or check out construction salvage stores.
- Creativity counts – small accents and meaningful pieces can make a big impact on your remodel. It doesn’t have to be a pricey item, it just has to be something special to you. Simple accents like plants or new light fixtures will also make a big impact on your remodel. These are small items that can add “pop” to your kitchen remodel. This also applies to your current kitchen, can you upcycle an old appliance? Paint or resurface countertops or cabinets? There are many new products that can apply primer to surfaces like laminate or tile, you’ll be amazed at the choices you have nowadays.
- Remodel in stages – taking on a remodel can be an incredibly stressful time for you and your family. It is an overwhelming process that can sometimes go over schedule and over budget. It is very easy to be discouraged by events that our out of our control during a remodel, splitting a large project into smaller, manageable parts will make it easier. This also allows you to build up financing between phases.
By using the above steps you’ll get through your kitchen remodel and have a room to marvel at and enjoy for as long as you own the house. Remember to keep your perspective and you’ll emerge with a beautiful addition to your home.